A shout out to the Python User Group

I just wanted to give a shout out to the Python User Group which is truly an asset for students  at the GC. The workshop is run by the Digital Fellows and the group meets every three weeks. Meetings are held on the 7th floor in the Digital Scholarship Lab, room 7414 and every meetup has a different theme followed by a wok session where participants can get help with concrete issues that they are working on. They will help you get set up with Anaconda, Jupyter Notebook, Powershell and all other kinds of mysterious sounding things that are new to people who have never written a single line of code. Better yet: they will explain to you what these programs do and how to use them.

For me, who is completely new to coding it has been a great experience to be able to attend these meetings (there’s been two so far this fall) because it’s a group that is open to everyone and all levels. The Digital Fellows are enthusiastic and patient and take their time explaining what ever questions you might have. Possessing great knowledge of coding they are able to help out with a range of issues, including projects you might be working on. They’ve helped me with assignments in addition to helping get started with understanding the concepts of coding. So, for those of you who want to learn how to code you should definitely come along. There is also pizza 🙂